<VV> 64 Spyder Convertible.

Dave Leonard dave at arborlea.com
Mon Oct 18 21:39:14 EDT 2010

My '64 Spyder came with a power top, and it's always functioned just fine in
the 36 years I've owned it (yikes!).  That said, it is relatively complex
compared to the manual top, requires special wiring and a circuit breaker,
and if you have hydraulic leaks it can be a real pain.  And if you end up
with a electrical failure with the top is down and it starts to rain you're
sunk...  My 2000 Z28 Convert has a override button on the pump to allow you
to release the hydraulics and raise the top if the power is out - no such
feature on the 'vair.  This is really the only down-side I can think of.
The benefits are being able to drop the top (and raise it) without leaving
the driver seat as long as you don't worry too much about the window.

That said, keeping it original would be my preference, if the rest of the
car is relatively original I wouldn't mess with changing the top.  A fair
bit of work for no advantage in my opinion.  I doubt there is much if any
value difference between a manual and power top.  I wonder if there is an
significant weight difference - I doubt it.

Dave