<VV> axle breakage

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Mon Oct 18 22:52:43 EDT 2010

Hello Warren,

Based on my education in metallurgy I would have to agree 100% with Dan
T.  Do not under any circumstances do any welding on your replacement
axle/flange.  Instead, find a pair (to replace the axle on the other side
of the car) of low mileage axles and have them shot peened.  However,
before shot peening you might also consider using a Dremel tool and a
fine-grit stone to radius all of the factory drilled hole edges and the
flange to shaft transition area.  It may be prudent to Magneflux the parts
before spending a lot of time on them, but I would expect that low mileage
OEM axles will not have any detectable cracks.  Use the replacement shot
peened axles for 10 years, then have them either Magnefluxed on some
periodic schedule or simply replace them with another prepared set.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

At 12:00 10/18/2010 -0400, you wrote:

>I appears that the fatigue started around the factory hole for
>clearance for a socket to reach the bearing retaining nuts.
>     It's only fair to say that this hub has been raced on for 20 some
>years and abused with huge sticky tires and high cornering loads.   No
>fear of failures for daily drivers.

and earlier: