<VV> Fw: Corvair stalling problem

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Oct 20 14:17:23 EDT 2010

In a message dated 10/20/2010 11:09:07 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bryan at skiblack.com writes:

You can  tap into the harness at the body connector to get 12 volts and run
a wire from  there.  I plan on doing the same thing to our '62 with a
Pertronix  sometime soon.

--Bryan

If you decide to connect the Pertronix to a 12 Volt feed in the  harness,
perhaps separately from the feed to the coil - which is okay to do - be  sure
you are connecting to a 12 volt source which is switched with the ignition.
 If you gave it a straight 12 volts all the time, and supplied the coil
with a  switched voltage, the car would start and stop with the key, because
the coil  voltage would be turned off, but the Pertronix unit might still be
receiving the  12 Volts all the time. I don't think that would be a good
thing for longevity.  You can feed both the coil and the Pertronix a 12 Volt
ignition key  switched voltage, depending on whether the coil was designed for
a 12 volt  feed.

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose, CA