<VV> No Compression in #3 - preventing crank journal scoring ?

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Thu Oct 21 19:31:43 EDT 2010

Just tap it and get  the rod cap working which will probably get
cock-eyed... they get ovalled over the years and sometimes are a PITA to get
off. It can be frustrating so take your time and work at it.. You can kind
of tap the edge of the rod cap and the big end with something like brass or
nylon or something- got to be very careful if you use steel.. then, once
loose/off, you can carefully remove them..You are going to at least hand
polish the journals anyway... Won't really scratch if sliding gently.

Then add the pieces of tubing when you put them in..  It really isn't a big
deal on a Corvair because you install the  pistons on hte rods, rings on the
pistons,  and then put them into the cylinder. On V8s, you have to do it
with the crank present and jamming the pistons rod assy down with a hammer
handle can damage the crank pin journals..

Chuck  S