<VV> Clutchead Bolts question

Mike Clark mclark67 at charter.net
Sat Oct 23 12:52:10 EDT 2010

Harry that's a great looking truck.  I wish mine looked that good.

As for the clutch heads, yes Snap On has this socket, and you can also find
a set of clutch head sockets at tool shows, or car shows that have vendor
areas.  That's where I got mine.  A whole set was something like 12 bucks.
There are different size clutch heads throughout the truck.

I've found that removing these isn't any different than removing regular
screws.  A good dose of penetrant, maybe a little heat, and lots of
patience.  If you decide to keep the clutch heads and the head isn't too
torn up, clean up the threads, chase the nutplates, and voila, a factory
restoration of that bolt.  I think it adds character.  Some of them won't
come out for nothing, so then you get out the tools of mass destruction and
drill off the head and use an easy out for the shank.  By the way, "easy
out" is a glaring misnomer.

Mike Clark
61 Rampside
Stockbridge, Georgia