<VV> Digital vs. Analog = What you see is not always what you get !

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Mon Oct 25 14:34:29 EDT 2010

The way it should be, too - gauges operate "normally" in the center.

My friend has a 1995 Saturn and the operator's manual shows what I thought
was a typographical error, that the coolant temp gauge reads "Full Cold"
when started (OK), and when warmed up, the normal operating temperature
should be "Full Cold" !

I thought there was a problem with the gauge (I'm basically skeptical, but 4
of 5 Saturn svc mgrs told me it was a "typo" in the manual !)

Apparently the reasoning was that "cold" was not as important as "hot" so
the gauge was dedicated to the "hot" range ?

They quickly changed that design probably after people blew their engines,
operating at what was perceived to be "normal: because it was in the
"middle" ?

1997 went back to "normal;" ....

My 1996 F**d Probe has an "oil pressure switch" that didn't work, so I
looked for a thermistor-type sensor, but all I found was a switch in the oil
passage that simply detected "on-off" if their was pressure, or not.
I soon realized it was not an analog gauge, but simply an "on-off" gauge,
with 2 positions : "have pressure" and "do not have pressure" !

What you see is not always what you get !

Charlie