<VV> Parts

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Thu Oct 28 08:51:54 EDT 2010

Hi Harry,

Yes, Harry, they are available but the terms "compatible" varies from
parts store to parts store. For example, spark plug wires for Corvairs
need to have significant heat resistance and the proper length of spark
plug boot in order to be really effective. The Clark's variety of wires
meet these needs whereas local parts stores ones may or may not meet
those criteria.

Air filters are truly generic, but oil filters are not. In a pinch, I'd
get a Wix filter as an equivalent to the Clark's filter, but the Clark's
one gives me a lot of peace of mind. And it was Clark's that reminded me
of the need for zinc additives in oil of older air-cooled engines; the
local parts guy knew nothing about it.

Points, rotors and caps are generic but only Clark's had the preferred
brass contacts instead of aluminum inside the caps. Also, the Clark's
points came with a replacement points plate screw in case I lose the
existing one. That's a really helpful touch.

And if I have a question on installing anything, or a problem with a
part, their expertise is a phone call away. I'd stick with Clark's if I
were you and  use your local parts store for a backup when you forget
something.

Oh, and if in the dead of winter, you need to bring a Corvair enthusiast
out of the cold and snow and south to Miami, just let me know :) .

Best wishes,

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
www.landroverwriter.com