<VV> PULLING MOTORs my ramblins

Harry Smith harrysmith1957 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 10:16:22 EDT 2010

Thanks to everyone for all the comments and advice. I do not see how pulling
the engine seperately is a bad thing. If I had known the shaft would pull
out beforehand there would have been no problem. On the second try after
pushing the engine back in all I did was put it in gear, turn the wheels to
engage it and the engine fell right out as the shaft stayed in place, had I
done that the first time nothing would have broken. I will consider pulling
the entire drivetrain in the future. I am getting ready to pull it apart for
rebuilding. I am not a novice, I have done more than a few engines before
but not a Corvair. Is there anything special or any secrets I should know
about this part of the job? I have already been advised to keep the studs in
the block and only remove the nuts, it does not look like that will be an
issue as everything is coming apart easily. I did not even have a problem
with the exhaust nuts, a little P B Blaster and some elbow grease and they
came right off. I will also be rebuilding my brake system but that seems to
be nothing special. I am considering adding disc brakes, any experience with
that here? Also want to add electronic ignition. A friend advised there is a
fan belt tensioner available any experience with that?
Thanks, Harry

"THERE IS NO TRY,
THERE IS ONLY DO
OR DO NOT"