<VV> Removing strud rods on LM

Mark Edmonds ctmle at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 1 21:27:49 EDT 2010

The last bolts I took out on the outer end of the rod I had to drive out
with a drift and a big hammer.  It was a struggle.

As was stated already, remove the inner first.

As for the inner ends...
I have used the sequence suggested by Richard Finch in "How to Keep Your
Corvair Alive" and it has worked well.  Jacking up the outer end will help
take some of the load off of the rod.
He says to remove the bracket bolts in the following order:
1. remove side mount rear bolts, one on each side
2. remove front bottom bolts, one on each side
3. remove bottom rear bolts on each side
4. remove side front bolts on each side

Installation is in the reverse order.
 This lets the bracket move a bit with the twist of the rod without
stripping the bolts.  Each bolt pulls the bracket a bit more into place
until the last bolt goes in.
I have done this several times and it worked well....
(installing the rods and crown lowering bracket was another story!)

....  Is there some trick or are we just talking lots
of fluid and a bigger hammer?

the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/