<VV> "Corvairs Drive the Tail of the Dragon III"

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Thu Sep 2 10:29:48 EDT 2010

“Corvairs Drive the Tail of the Dragon III”

The past two years, CORSA South Carolina has brought you a unique
opportunity to travel to
Western North Carolina, just southwest of the Smokey Mountain National
Park, and drive the
famous “Tail of the Dragon”, with itʼs 318 curves in 11 miles.
Originally meant to be a one-time
event, everyone had so much fun, we decided to go back!

      This year, weʼre going in October.  Weʼve also decided to go a
day earlier, on Friday, like so
many of you asked for, so we can start driving Friday afternoon and
have a full day to drive
and explore on Saturday.  By going a bit earlier, we are hoping for
more color in the leaves.
The Visitorʼs Center will be open at Fontana Dam and if business
warrants, more restaurants
will be open too.  So, on the last weekend of October, Friday the
29th, Saturday the 30th, and
Sunday the 31st, the guys and gals of CORSA South Carolina will take
you there again... Are
you up to it?   Can you stand the fun? “Corvairs Drive the Tail of
the Dragon III”

      The Tail of the Dragon, also called “The Dragon” or
“Dealʼs Gap”,  is a road of legend that
has been written up in all of the car and motorcycle magazines.  It is
near Fontana Lake,
Fontana Dam, and Fontana Village.  It is 11 miles of Hwy 129 going
from the North Carolina
line into Tennessee.  Go to:  http://www.tailofthedragon.com  and look
around.  Be sure and
look at the Event Calendar to see all the other marques that have
events there; everything
from Ferraris to Miatas!

      We will again be staying at the Fontana Village Resort, where we
have a great rate on
rooms and cottages. Go to: http://www.fontanavillage.com  We will also
be taking in Fontana
Dam and the beautiful $100,000,000 Cherohala Skyway which, along with
the Dragon, is rated
as one of the great drives in our country:  http://www.cherohala.org/ ,
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/cherohala.html  The Cherohala Skyway is
listed by National
Geographic Traveler as one of the "Drives of a Lifetime - the World's
Greatest Scenic Routes"
Read about it here:  http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/drives/smoky-mountains.html

      "Corvairs Drive the Tail of the Dragon III" is not a race or a
rallye.  Itʼs just a good time with
your Corvair friends in a rural setting, driving these beautiful
roads, visiting with each other,
and kicking tires.

      We will develop an itinerary later, after we learn when people
will arrive and which
restaurants will be open.  We would like to start driving Friday
afternoon, perhaps at 3:30 and
eat dinner at the Dragonʼs Den at the Dealʼs Gap Motorcycle Resort.
Saturday, weʼd like to
drive across the Cherohala Skyway, have lunch at a new restaurant
called, Nut N Fancy in
Tellico Plains, then return and drive the Tail of the Dragon.  Weʼll
also see Fontana Dam and
itʼs Visitorʼs Center and pose our Corvairs for a group picture at
Fontana Resort.  Everyone will
eat together Saturday night in the Mountview Bistro, then enjoy
dessert in the comfortable
lobby area.  Sunday, most people want to get up, have breakfast and
head home.  We may
schedule some driving for a couple of hours for those that wish to do
so.

      October 29-31, 2010. Circle it on your calendar.  "Corvairs
Drive the Tail of the Dragon III".
The leaves will still have some color and the air will be cool.  The
sinuous curves of The
Dragon beckon.  Plan to come if you're near us.  Wish you could, if
you're not.
For registration information e-mail BWSchug at att.net Or call:
864-268-2884

Bruce W. Schug