<VV> Car salesmen-no corvair

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Thu Sep 2 18:02:04 EDT 2010

You like jumping to conclusions don't you ?  My point was what I think the
original poster was saying, to go to a dealership and not be annoyed by
salesmen.

First, I was half-joking, although I meant if you want to look, without
being hassled, salesmen won't annoy you if they think you can't afford it.

The part about going back "for revenge" was just that, spite, to say,
"Remember me ?  The guy you though would have been a waste of time.  Well,
you misjudged me."

I was being sarcastic, but I forgot that they don't have sarcasm on your
planet ;>}) ggg (< denotes attempt at humor)

However, it kind of works sort of, since I spent a lot of time at a dealer
looking at cars, one of which was a loaded 2000 Ford ZX-2 (almost new at the
time) stickered at $13,999.

I really wanted a Corvair but he didn't have any, and didn't even know what
they were, so he didn't score in my book.

He says, "What do you want to pay ?" and I said "$8000" and he scoffed and
showed me crappy cars.  I like this size car, but never owned a Ford and
didn't really want one, but I needed a car the NEXT day (this was a Sunday
afternoon and I didn't tell him I needed a car so soon).

After looking around for 3 hours, he asks me again, and I say "$8000"

His manager apparently thinks I'm wasting their time and says "You can have
it if you agree in 30 seconds" so I wait 25 seconds and say "Deal" to his
obvious dismay, but it constitutes a contract, and that's what I paid.

I drove it for 150 000 miles with nothing but oil changes, brakes (once) and
tires (2 sets)
Ironically, I had been bragging about how carefree the car had been for 8
years, and said "If it died today, it doesn't owe me a dime"  (No one should
ever say that !!!)

About an hour later, on my way home, she died.

I drove it 8 years and 150,000 miles and broke even and all I really paid
for was brakes tires and gas and oil.  (The long version has been posted and
you don't want to hear that again)

Charlie