<VV> "Car"ma - no Corvair

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Sep 2 18:22:57 EDT 2010

Unrelated to anything, but this tale occurred to me today:

A friend was being shipped out to Vietnam, circa 1968.  He was in
southern California, driving, of all things, a Fiat Multipla.

With only a short period of time left before he was to go overseas, he
tried to sell the Multipla.  No one would buy it.  He took it around to
a few used car dealers.  No one would buy it.  Finally, on literally his
last day stateside, he drove it to the junkyard.

The junkyard refused to take it!

As he walked out of the junkyard office, about as completely dejected as
could be, he saw a guy staring at the Multipla.  The guy was, as we
would call him today, "an undocumented immigrant."  When I was told the
story, it was simply, "a Mexican."

He said to the Mexican, "You like this car?"  The Mexican replied with
an enthusiastic "Si!"

"Then it is your car," my friend said, and handed the guy the keys.

--Bob Marlow