<VV> Help - Oil Out Dipstick Tube

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Sep 2 20:25:56 EDT 2010

In a message dated 9/2/2010 12:58:58 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
jay.pitchford at gmail.com writes:

the  mechanic is getting oil blowing out the dipstick. This
engine had a  complete tear-down, including boiling the block, turning
the crank, new  bearings, pistons, rings, the works. I'm going to have
him check the  PCV,

Jay,
How much oil and at what speed?

I suggest that the mech look at the flow of blowby gasses coming out of the
 crankcase and relate that volume to other Corvair eingines. That will
basically  tell him whether there is a major problem or not.

In addition a compression check and maybe a leakdown test are in order  too.

I recommend that you do NOT have him break off the lower part of the
dipstick tube. It's there for a reason. If it is gone, then blowby gasses will
be free to flow up the dipstick tube and enter the engine compartment where
they  will be picked up in the heater system and allow carbon monoxide into
the cabin.

Regards,
Bob Helt