<VV> GM Plant

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Fri Sep 3 10:51:12 EDT 2010

Back when I was a kid they used to have an "Open House" at Tonawanda Assembly where the public could come in and watch engines being assembled, tested and painted.  The Corvair test area was noisy, and the manifolds weren't put on yet---you could see blue flames coming out the exhaust ports.

Don't know what they were testing for, but I suppose it was to be sure the valves were cold lashed properly during assembly.

An interesting side note that I cannot verify.  Some employees told me they tested the Corvairs with CNG, some said Propane.

Hank