<VV> GM,

Charles Fregeau n5hsr at sprynet.com
Fri Sep 3 13:27:47 EDT 2010

Amen, but you're mostly preaching to the choir here.

The last GM I owned I bought new in 1994.  95 Chevy S-10 4 cylinder 5-speed
manual.   Check engine light came on within a month of buying it.  There was
rust within a year of buying it.

And between the cheap accountants and whatever engineers they had left at GM
in those days, who in the HELL set up the engine options for the S-10?

They had a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder at 122 hp.  10,000 for the manual, 11,000
for the auto.
	A 4.3 liter V-6 at 153 hp  The weight of the larger engine almost
cancels out any gain in horsepower.  One had to jump up to nearly 16,000 to
get this because it automatically came with the longer cab and a carload of
unneeded trim options.
	A Vortec 4.3 liter V-6 at 191 hp.

By comparison my brother still drives a 1995 Previa.  It has a 2.4 liter
4-cylinder engine and 3+OD automatic.  There is only one engine, 161 HP
turbo-charged 4.

The truck weighed about 3000 lbs, the van weighs 4200, but gets around a lot
better.

Also the competitor (i.e. Ford) had 3 engine choices:

2.3 liter 4
3.0 liter V-6
4.0 liter V-6.

I've driven both the 2.3 and the 4.0.  The 2.3 got better mileage than my
Chevy and the 4.0 nearly as good.  Both of them did a better job of moving
and handling.  One could get a 2.3 extended cab for about 13,000, except
they were so popular when I was buying, there weren't any available.

Hello?

The reason most of us own or owned (or will own again) Corvairs is that we
wanted something other than the big chrome boxes being manufactured in the
1950's and 60's.