<VV> Theoretical recommendations : "mag wheels"

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Sep 4 10:01:31 EDT 2010

At 06:43 PM 9/1/2010, Charles Lee wrote:
>Isn't that where the term "mag wheel" originated ?
>
>Magnesium + aluminum for strong light wheels ?
>
>Charlie

Lots of the aftermarket wheels were actually cast aluminum.  Some,
like Cragar-SS and Keystone Klassics wheels had a steel rim with an
aluminum alloy center that was riveted or "dimple-stamped" in
place... or in the case of some Cragar-SS's, actually welded
(aluminum-to-steel weld, think about that).  Some Keystone Klassic
wheels were epoxied together... bad move, lawsuits up the yingyang etc.

Some earlier Cragar one-piece wheels made in the early '60s were
actually magnesium, can be spotted by their bronze'ish gray
color.   I believe some other wheel manufacturers at the time also
were using magnesium but most of them ended up with aluminum alloy as
the material of choice, especially for those end users who liked to
polish their wheels.   Aluminum alloy will (depending) take a pretty
good polish, magnesium... not so much.  ;)

Long ago, I had a set of the Cragar magnesium one-piece 5-spoke
wheels, didn't much like them because they were gray and wouldn't
hold a polish, swapped them off.   Now I really wish I had them
back.   The '69 Monza here is wearing a set of Cragar aluminum alloy
slot wheels that will take a pretty good polish and hold
it.   They're reasonably wide as well, hold a performance type tire
nicely, bought them for cheap at the Carlisle convention.

Lots of those old vintage aftermarket wheels that had become passe'
by the 1980s are now coming back into demand... and prices are going
up, if Ebay is any indication.

Vintage Hands type wheels are the exception; they never seemed to
fall out of favor and seldom ever went for anything resembling a
bargain unless one got lucky, like a chapter member here did who
found a filthy but excellent condition set in an old gas station here
in town, one was in a corner standing upright atop a 2nd that was
almost hidden by some oily car parts, guy asked if the two were for
sale, got told something ridiculously cheap, whipped out his wallet,
then mumbled that it would have been ok if the seller had two
more...   "I got a couple more in the back someplace, I
think".    Guy asked if they might also be for sale and the seller
said sure, if he can find them, and next day he did, guy bought those
also... for a price so cheap he was reluctant to tell me how cheap...
but he was somewhat tickled about it.   It was hinted that he may
have bought all 4 for about a hundred bucks.   They look mint.

They're currently on his excellent metallic blue '66 turbo ragtop.

I wouldn't mind stumbling across a set of vintage Hands wheels for a C-note...

tony..