<VV> Theoretical recommendations.

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Sep 6 19:49:47 EDT 2010

At 03:10 PM 9/6/2010, Rodney Spooner wrote:
>Is there any good way to tell an original good quality Corvair valve from an
>inferior early one?

Yes.

>(Or were ALL of the earlies inferior?)

No.

>And if you're
>going to all the time, trouble, and money of getting heads done, wouldn't it
>make the most sense to replace them with new, high quality valves?

Yes.   Hard stainless is available and they work ok.   I'd recommend
bronze guides though, especially with stainless steel valves.

Early-early valves were one piece, and rather soft.   Most have
self-terminated by now, well, the exhausts anyway.    Later on, a
two-piece valve was chosen starting in... what... '62?   Somebody
correct me about the date.

Bob?   (he knows this stuff)

The stem was softer steel to ride the guide better and the head
(which was friction-welded to the stem) was a hi-temp Stellite alloy
that wouldn't burn so easily.   Look for a joint in the stem just
above the valve head bell area.  It's a slightly different "color" in
the two-piece valve.    But if you're doing a head rebuild, it's not
that expensive to go with new valves anyway.

tony..