<VV> Front End Alignment

rbuckridge at comcast.net rbuckridge at comcast.net
Tue Sep 7 10:34:55 EDT 2010

Clipped from Ray's post: "The front end guy made all kinds of excuses but it was quite apparent that he didn't have the slightest clue how to align a car without a computer telling him exactly what to do step by step."

I see so many posts on front end alignment. This is simple logic and the ability to measure.

We would align, (or at least check) the Legends car ever time it went to the track. All we had was a piece of string and a tape measure. We did get better at alignment the longer we raced. We got better string (bright colored string makes it easier to read) and were moving towards using cheap lasers. A laser is nothing more than a REAL GOOD piece of string. You really don't need the fancy front end machine.

Ask Jim Dodd the year he paid for a four wheel alignment, Jim was the first of our group to get a 4 wheel alignment on his Corvair. Not liking how the car was running at Lime Rock one year, we talked about what was wrong when a passing fellow racer said your rear alignment is off. Jim explained how he just had a 4 wheel laser alignment done. The guy grabbed a broom stick to prove how much the rear was off. So much for the high tech alignment machine.

Learn what front end alignment is and how to do it. You can do just as good a job as any one. Maybe this should be a subject at a CORSA convention?

Roy - Bayshore