<VV> fuel tanks & Nader

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Tue Sep 7 19:57:46 EDT 2010

There's one car that escapes the usual discussion of rear-impact gasoline
fires and it's the mid-year Corvette, the ones built from 1963 to 1967.

The engineers mounted the fuel tank above the rear frame extension, and when
hit from the rear, the rear body skin panel would occasionally release from
the interior tub,
especially in the coupe model, allowing the splash of gas to move forward
into the interior area. I worked in body shops during that period and saw
several cars that had burned
right down to the frame rails, sometimes involving fatalities. It was common
to see them in scrapyards in that condition.

This was such a problem, that in the early '70s, GM eventually wrapped the
fuel tanks in a molded plastic upper cover, which helped contain the fuel
and direct it downward on impact. This saved lives, but the cars still
suffered from rear-impact fires during the '70s and '80s. It was only with
the introduction of the '96 cars, that the fuel tank moved forward to the
safer rear-impact position, ahead of the rear axle, where it had been
located, during the early years, in the '53 to '62 cars.

But the Corvette has always been such a desirable car, that this fault was
easily overlooked for the mid-year cars, and they are considered the most
valuable ones to own!

Mel