<VV> 100% CORSA book balancing

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Wed Sep 8 09:56:06 EDT 2010

Here is one more opinion to add to the stack.

1) For those that advocate 100% membership on principle . . . you have every right to your belief, but I disagree (reasons later)

2) For those that advocate 100% membership as a plan to increase membership and solve CORSA's financial woes . . .  I would suggest you check your math and look at some of the unintended results.  MCCA discussed this when the issue first came out, the vast majority of the club agreed that they would dissolve the CORSA connection instead of forcing 100% CORSA membership, certainly no gain for CORSA.

3) I could support the $3 fee for non-members . . .  for the MCCA the $50 chapter fee more than covers the cost of CORSA insurance for non-CORSA members.  Either the flat Chapter fee or the per-person fee works for me. I don't see the flat fee generating a lot of additional income for CORSA however.

4) CORSA should be for promoting the Corvair hobby . . . for everyone, not just CORSA members. My belief the more the merrier. If CORSA wants to expand (or continue to exist) it must work at being inclusive, avoid being exclusive.  The largest pool of potential CORSA members are those Corvair fans that are members of the local clubs but not of the national, how are they going to react when told they have to join the national club or be excluded from the local club?

5) CORSA is a positive force in the Corvair hobby and it needs to balance the financial books in order to survive.  For the past 20 years the CORSA leadership has chased the dream that when we get the membership up the money problems will go away.   Well it hasn't happened.  It won't be easy but CORSA needs to cut some services to survive and get back into the black. Many people have experienced this in their own lives, with layoffs and reduced income.  They cannot go on living like they did before their income dropped, spending has to be cut.  A CORSA Director's job is not an easy one, they give hours of their time for free.  Now they are faced with choices that are sure to make many people unhappy, but it must be done.

Terry Kalp
CORSA
MCCA
HACOA