<VV> Advice on Rings (was Help - Oil Out Dipstick Tube)

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Sep 9 03:10:02 EDT 2010

At 10:21 PM 9/8/2010, Jay Pitchford wrote:

>The PCV system was clear. A compression check was done, and it showed
>145-150 lbs on three of the six cylinders. Two of the other three
>showed ~90 lbs,

That's pretty low...

>and one was ~65 lbs.

That's WAY too low.

>One bank ... the one reading two cylinders low ... was smoking a bit,
>but our thought was maybe the rings were still seating. I drove it
>carefully, generally 3500 revs or less, but never over 4000 while
>upshifting. The mild Isky cam had 5k miles on it already, so that
>wasn't a concern.

Are all the low cylinders on the same bank, or is one low cylinder on
the opposite bank?

>48 hours and 150 miles after picking it up, I started it and blew
>clouds of oil smoke out of the bank, the one that was slightly smoking
>earlier. Temp stayed normal; no oil light; no clatter other than a
>slight valve tick expected before the hot adjust. I'm convinced I just
>blew one of my brand-new rings, and I'm hoping it didn't score the
>brand-new full fin jug.

The low compression is a bit alarming for a fresh engine.   What do
the cylinders test now, after some miles?

>Question: Is it possible to put a ring in 'backwards'?

Unless they're exotic compression rings, (Dykes rings etc) it's not
gonna cause that much trouble.  They do have (or most do) a marker
dot on them to indicate which side is "up", but it's not very likely
to make THAT much difference if the compression rings are installed
upside-down.   Depending on type, oil rings CAN be an issue but if
they're the standard 3-piece oil rings (not the cast one-piece), they
won't care.   They won't have much effect on compression anyway.

>If so, you
>figure a guy that doesn't know the difference would have a 50/50
>chance at it ... and I was reading low on exactly three cylinders
>after a ground-up rebuild.

Exactly what kind of rings are these?   Are the compression rings
cast iron or moly-filled?  Cast iron rings can break VERY easily,
while the moly-filled rings tend to be less brittle and will usually
bend before they break.

When the pistons went into the cylinders, did they go in from the top
or the bottom of the cylinders?    What sort of ring compressor was
used?   This could be important...

...did you check clearances on the cylinders, just to be
sure?   Three that low doesn't sound right at all.  Even before rings
seat, you should have had more compression than what your low
cylinders are showing, right after the first cranking and start-up
with NO break-in at all, especially that one very low
cylinder.   That one is only trapping a bit more than 4
atmospheres... something went wrong there.   I wouldn't expect too
much lower compression than 65 lbs if there were NO compression rings
on that particular piston.

...what's the story on the cylinders?   Again, were piston clearances
checked before assembly?   And were the cylinders prepped as they
should have been?   You mentioned they were new... is that new as in
NEW or are they fresh rebores?

>Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated.

The smoke speaks volumes.   If the heads are OK (you said M. LeV. did
them so they should be fine) I'd not think the smoke would be from
guide clearance... the guides would need to be worn pretty bad to
make "clouds" of smoke on start-up but it's not likely they would
cause such a difference in compression without other symptoms as in
noisy valves if the guides were loose enough to allow the valve to
wobble and not seat...    If the valves themselves were simply leaky,
and causing the low compression, it still wouldn't cause smoking
and/or blowby without the accompanying loose guides.    I'd suspect
the heads are OK in this instance and I'd go with something wrong
with cylinder sealing... smoke generally means bad ring seal or loose
clearances, piston/cylinder or worn/cracked rings... which are in
this instance new but if something went wrong, all bets are
off.    The blowby kinda confirms that as well.   Low
compression?   It speaks for itself... time for another compression
check.   Something is wrong in those three holes.   I don't think you
need to look at the heads.

By the way, whenever I have a pan off or an engine apart, when it
goes back together I stick a #2 phillips screwdriver into the bottom
of the dipstick tube where it extends down into the crankcase and I
snap it off.   Then I "ream" out the bottom of the tube with the same
screwdriver to make sure there's no burs or kinks.    The tube can
stick down far enough to dip into the oil in the pan and if there's
blowby the crankcase can pressurize enough to push oil up and out of
the dipstick, if the engine is given any major throttle openings
under load... even with a functioning crankcase vent system.

Check that compression again and let the group know what you find.

tony..