<VV> CAUTION / sound and heat insulation/passenger compartment

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 13:18:40 EDT 2010

Back in the '70's I did some R&D heat and sound lab tests on a city bus,
testing various types of insulation for the rear seatee (the most rearward
seat, mounted over the engine and against the back wall). The type of
insulation that proved most effective was the common cotton/jute batting
pad like what is found under the carpet or against the firewall in many
cars. It was better than styrafoam, aluminum lined, or several other
proposed types we were considering. It was stuff we'd been using for ages,
so we stuck with it.

Some times, what's in use now is still the best. Personally, I would not
only be wary of anything that would  absorb (like open-cell foam) and hold
moisture, but also anything that would not breath (like any kind of rubber
or metallic sheeting) and thus trap moisture under it. Sheet cotton/jute
batting does neither, so I'd recommend sticking with it.

-Mark

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007P2R2C/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=3979120721&ref=p
d_sl_41u2wzrdzz_b

mailto:vv-help at corvair.org