<VV> Pulling steering column to install steering box ?

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 14 09:44:21 EDT 2010

I've pulled many a column out of a LM Corvair and put them back in. Ones
with the pot joint are the easiest. Though it's messy and you have to watch
you don't lose any of the pieces, I just remove the snap ring and pull it
apart. No beating on a rusted bolt and spline.

The LM column can be removed from the vehicle without removing the steering
wheel, though it's sometimes awkward depending on how long the shaft is and
whether the seat is in the way. But generally there's enough lateral room
to do whatever you need to do.

As far as getting the column back in, always tighten the floor bolts LAST.
Put in the column and loosely hang it with the under-dash bolts and get the
floor bolts started. Then install the steering box and tighten it down in
place. THEN snug the under-dash bolts, and finally the floor bolts.

-Mark