<VV> Parking Brake Cable question

Gary Swiatowy garyswiatowy at summitlubricants.com
Thu Sep 16 08:12:18 EDT 2010

Did the cable come with a package or a tag?
Do you have the invoice with the part number?
This way you can check if they sent the wrong cable.
Look up the part numbers in the catalog, either paper or on-line.
I believe the wheelbase of a late model is slightly longer than an early, so
should be safe to say an early cable is shorter.

It has been my experience with cables, both parking and clutch, you do have
to start from the top.
There is more travel needed to hook the ball than there is to feed the rod
through the parking cable i9n the rear.
This may make it appear it is shorter.

Not 2 weeks ago I did a clutch cable on an early.
Very easy to improperly route going underneath the car.
If the cable is hooked on something, it will be too short.

One last thought.
Is the lever fully released in the down position?
Even one click could be an issue.

As for not coming with nuts for the rod.
Odds are you cannot re-use the old ones.
But many of us have the assortments, or coffee cans full of spare nuts.
Replacement parts are designed not with a hobbyist in mind, but a mechanic
with a shop. Shops will have nuts on hand.

Gary Swiatowy
garyswiatowy at summitlubricants.com

From: "Charles Lee" <Chaz at ProperProper.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> Parking Brake Cable - The real question is why the
	cable	doesn't fit ?

OK blame it on me, but that's not the real problem.
(But I still think it could be included for $30 !  But that's just how I
would do )it, and eat the 30 cents ...

The real question is why the cable doesn't fit ?