<VV> Good Ink for V-8 Corvairs - Transmission Ratios?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Sep 16 13:47:58 EDT 2010

In a message dated 9/16/2010 8:23:18 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
paulsiano at yahoo.com writes:

He asked  for some information about the car which I knew but I didn't know
what the  transmission ratios are for a 1966 four speed transmission, but I
bet somebody  on VV does. Does the Crown mainshaft change anything?

Thanks in  advance for your help.

Paul

Paul - There were two different ratio Saginaw gearsets used by Crown.  Most
common was the standard Corvair ratios - which makes first gear (3.11 -  1)
about unusable, with any kind of a stout V8. The change to Crown doesn't
affect the ratios -  except that Crown offered a close-ratio version -  first
gear 2.54 to 1.  It might be worth looking for a closer ratio Saginaw  - It
has to be an early one to work with the Corvair case. Bruce Carlton and Bob
 Coffin know all about these.  Take Pictures if you can!  Say Ciao! to  the
Chrysler guys! <grin>

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose, CA