<VV> Possible Help for Chaz's cable

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 17 14:03:11 EDT 2010

I've looked at the pictures, and since everyting looks good, and he's
tried this many times, and the cable is the right length, and I don't
have a early or late LM out back to check to verify the pedal & column &
pulley situation, the only thing that is left is what Dave Leonard
suggested -- that the rear cables are stuck or frozen or 'caught'.

With the previous front brake cable having been breaking for a while, it
is doubtful, in my mind, that the parking brake was working previous to
the cable finally breaking.

Chaz -- can you manually work the parking brakes by pulling on the
center of the rear cable?  You chould be able to do this by hand,
actually hearing & feeling the shoes contact the drum -- better yet,
take the drums off and have a young helper pull on the rear cable --
watch both sides to verify the shoes apply. If the rear cable shows any
signs of rust, remove the rear cable assembly from the car and clean and
grease it.  If it is stuck, you'll never get the front one to reach
without modification, and since modification is the latest suggestion,
may I suggest you find and fix the actual problem instead of trying to
work around it, as something is wrong..  It is my understanding that in
many places in this country, a seized rear parking brake cable is rather
common. Yes, you normally have to pull the rear cable up to reach the
front when you attach the two together.

Also, in the website picture of the cable hooked up at the rear, it
looks like the sleeve for the rear cable attachment point is installed
backwards -- this part is directional, put it on the right way.

Bill Strickland