<VV> "Improved" vs stock in Concours

Bill Sowerby bsowerby at charter.net
Fri Sep 17 15:40:36 EDT 2010

I agree with your point on leaving the "custom/modified" class name in place
vs. "improved".

As a new member to this forum, I would like to share my beliefs/ values and
thought process on why I support this position having owned and judges many
different makes of vehicles over the years.

At one end of the collector car hobby are the classic car clubs such as AACA
and VCCA which value original "classic" vehicles and judge them accordingly.
These vehicles are generally older well established makes that the hobby
accepts as having made significant styling and engineering contributions to
the hobby.   Interestingly, these include marques such as Duesenberg which
had coach builder bodies installed on a factory chassis and were basically
the custom cars of their day.   These cars are largely judged at concourse
shows such Meadowbrook and Pebble Beach with an emphasis on their styling;
however,  they are often restored to a condition which is far beyond
anything that came out of the factory.   Also, it is not uncommon for these
vehicles to be assembled with parts from several vehicles (most notably race
cars) or custom made parts where original parts are no longer available, the
extreme version being cars that were never produced.   In general, these
vehicles are highly documented and well known to their judging communities,
but not necessarily numbers matching.   Factory show cars also fall into
this group.   Many classic clubs and concourse shows have in recent years
created a class for "Survivor" vehicles which are in original or unrestored
condition  i.e, " a vehicle is only original once".  Interestingly in the
last few years,  Pebble Beach has gone one step further by recognizing and
having early hot rods in their shows, blurring the traditional lines of
concourse acceptability.

Next along in hobby judging standards are marque or make specific clubs
(including the Corvair) which often have well documented judging manuals
that define judging classes,  describe factory correct details and deduct
points for originality and condition.  "Survivor" and "Modified" classes
have often been added at the opposite ends of judging classes for these
clubs, in addition to the middle ground or historic  "Stock" class.   I have
personally found it very interesting that there is very little common
structure or documentation if I compare the business practices of the
various make specific clubs I belonged to over the years.   Perhaps this is
an opportunity for the future - to commonize the business elements of the
hobby.

Finally, at the other end of the hobby are pure street rods or hot rods
which are anything but stock or restored in condition.   Judging standards
for these vehicles run the gamut from "Peoples choice" to quasi classic,
depending on whether the vehicles are competing at a local car show or for a
top Hot Rod show trophy such as the Riddler at the annual Detroit Autorama.
Judging tends to be very subjective for these shows, compared to the
objective standards of the make specific clubs above.

A current trend are resto-mod vehicles that are largely restored but also
have modified features as well.   The premise here is that these vehicles
are "on occasion" driven on the street and as such have non-stock parts on
them that are superior from technology standpoint vs. factory so they can
keep up with today's traffic speeds an patterns.  Owners of these vehicles
enjoy modifying these vehicles to their personal tastes, often stating that
these modifications can be easily removed and the vehicles to stock
condition.   While this may be true for something like aftermarket wheels
and radial (vs. bias belted) tires, it is obviously more difficult for
example to remove stainless components such as brake lines or exhaust
systems and replace them with raw steel components or to remove base coat /
clear coat paint in favor of a lacquer respray.   Indeed, current emission
laws even make it illegal to use VOC based paints or R12 airconditioning
refrigerant.

In my opinion, make clubs move towards AACA or VCCA judging standards over
time.   However, as owners of these vehicles move on to the big car club in
the sky, they are replaced by a newer generation of owners who did not drive
these cars "back in the day".   In pure marketing terms, the size of their
traditional target market is decreasing.   For example, current purchasers
of Model T and Model A Fords or 1960 muscle cars who want to rebuild, drive
and enjoy their vehicles have different needs than the original buyers and
are not shy about modifying their vehicles.    From a purely economic
standpoint, there are likely more buyers for modified versions of collector
vehicles today than their stock cousins; however, this may or may not
translate into higher prices.   For similar reasons,  I believe that
membership in classic and make specific clubs declines over time, increasing
the costs of running these clubs including holding club shows.   It is also
possible that younger generations (many of whom do not even seem to like
cars) prefer "hanging out" at local car shows over the structure of
traditional car clubs.

In summary, please let me clearly state that these are my opinions and
observations on the current state of the collector car hobby.   Corvair
owners and our (national and local) clubs will go through the same growth
and change patterns as other make specific clubs over time.    The challenge
for all of us "car guys" will be to keep our cars and  supporting clubs
relevant to both current and future members.   Change will be painful as it
this means having the appropriate discussions, making difficult decisions,
enacting needed changes and generally adapting over time to grow our hobby.