<VV> Tony Underwood's engine

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 18 19:08:02 EDT 2010

Tony wrote:

"The '66 engine I put in the car had come out of a wreck (that had
been in storage since 1971, so I was told) and evidently hadn't been
touched during its time in the car it came in nor since it came out,
which I was told had 30,000 miles on it at the time it met its
demise. From the looks of the engine it has in fact never had a
screw turned on it, likely the AC44FF plugs in it now are also
original, pulled a couple and looked at them and they had some brown
coating on them but otherwise looked not too bad, so for the helluvit
I left them in the engine. It has Delco points. It evidently also
has all its original gaskets and seals... tube seals are now
beginning to leak enough for it to mark its spot if I park it
somewhere, but it does NOT "puke oil" even now after having put
another 21,000 miles on this engine since the swap... making its
total about 51,000 now, so... it's no longer in warranty. The car
shows 17,414 miles last time I put fuel in it.

(did Corvairs in '66 have a 50k warranty?) ;)"

Tony-
Could that be the engine you bought from me in Harrisonburg, Va?
If so, I still have the car and it now has a 4.3 V6 in it.
The story I got, from the second owner, was that the car was bought new, in NJ in 1966.
The owner died a couple of years later and his widow used the car very little.
Her relatives sold the car when she entered a nursing home in 1991. It had about 23,000 miles then.
I bought it in 1993 with 33,000 miles. I only drove the car into my garage.
I moved the car from NYC to VA by dolley in 2000.
I pulled the engine and started the swap. My divorce got in the way and all I accomplished was mounting the engine and trans before moving to NJ.
I believe I sold the engine to you in 2004.
I think it was totally original. It had the correct tags on the carbs and I don't think it had ever been touched. The guy I got it from had only replaced some body mechanical parts but I don't think he ever touched the engine.
If this is the engine you are referring to I'm glad to hear it works well for you!
Good luck and enjoy!
Ed