<VV> Tony Underwood's engine

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Sep 18 20:43:04 EDT 2010

At 07:08 PM 9/18/2010, Ed Dowds wrote:

>Tony wrote:
>
>"The '66 engine I put in the car had come out of a wreck (that had
>been in storage since 1971, so I was told) and evidently hadn't been
>touched during its time in the car it came in nor since it came out,
>which I was told had 30,000 miles on it at the time it met its
>demise.

>Tony-
>Could that be the engine you bought from me in Harrisonburg, Va?

Hey!   :)    Looks like it is.   How have you been, dood?

>If so, I still have the car and it now has a 4.3 V6 in it.

How was it I had the notion the car it came out of had been
wrecked?   Did I branewarp something somewhere?

>The story I got, from the second owner, was that the car was bought
>new, in NJ in 1966.
>The owner died a couple of years later and his widow used the car very little.
>Her relatives sold the car when she entered a nursing home in 1991.
>It had about 23,000 miles then.
>I bought it in 1993 with 33,000 miles. I only drove the car into my garage.
>I moved the car from NYC to VA by dolley in 2000.
>I pulled the engine and started the swap. My divorce got in the way
>and all I accomplished was mounting the engine and trans before moving to NJ.
>I believe I sold the engine to you in 2004.

OK, now I'm getting a fuller picture here.   I still wonder how the
Hell I ended up with its having been taken from a wreck...  or did I
get some different cars mixed up or something?

And 2004?  Was it that long ago?   Seems like only about 4 years or
thereabouts but then again my sense of time sucks.

>I think it was totally original. It had the correct tags on the
>carbs and I don't think it had ever been touched. The guy I got it
>from had only replaced some body mechanical parts but I don't think
>he ever touched the engine.
>If this is the engine you are referring to I'm glad to hear it works
>well for you!

I kept it in storage for a while since I knew sooner or later it
would come in handy, and it did.

It's running fine and doing quite well.   In fact it's running VERY
well, couldn't be happier with the engine.

>Good luck and enjoy!

Sure will, and thanks again.  :)

tony..