<VV> Pinging Question

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Sep 19 14:19:29 EDT 2010

At 10:58 AM 9/19/2010, Bryan Blackwell wrote:
>Even without audible ping, I would still use premium - 91 at
>least.  I've recently spoken to a couple of Corvair owners who used
>regular, and they couldn't hear it either but the cars ran better on
>premium.  I suspect that the newer fuels burn a little slower, I
>know back in the old days there was no way to run a 110 on regular
>without dialing the timing back a lot or reducing the CR.

That's still the way it seems to work today.    If I don't run
premium in the 110 I drive daily, it pings.   I'm not real keen on
backing off the timing to stop the pinging since it can cause the
engine to run a little hotter than usual... in summer this isn't
good.  I pay the extra dime/gallon and run premium.

Except Citgo premium... which seems to ping anyway.

tony..