<VV> Pinging Question

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Sun Sep 19 17:50:09 EDT 2010

Pull a couple spark plugs and closely examine the electrode.
See anything that looks like little balls of aluminum on it?
If so, that is detonation, and you are melting the tops of your pistons.

Gary Swiatowy

>From: judynrandy at comcast.net
>Subject: <VV> Pinging Question
>

>I have an original '65 Monza 4-dr w/110 pg.? The car had 45,000 miles on it
when I got it.? A true little old ladies car.??? It sat for 30 years.? It
was running when I bought it from the previous owner.? I did a reseal,
thorough cleaning of the heads and a deflash of them and jugs as well.? I
installed an "ignitor" module.? I also installed dual exhausts.? I am?using
Amsoil 15W-40 heavy duty motor oil, as well as their syn tranny fluid and
gear oil.? The timing is set to stock specks.? (13* btdc)? It runs great!!

>??????Now, my question is this:? I have yet to hear it ping.? I've run 87
gas in it for the previous 5,000 miles.? As i've driven 110's before, and
noticed they tend?to ping? on 87 gas, ?is it possible to actually have
stumbled onto one that doesn't ping?? i keep listening for it, but as of
now, still haven't heard it ping.? Thoughts and opinions, please.