<VV> Purple Wire

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sun Sep 19 21:23:58 EDT 2010

"...So, I tried energizing the purple wire to get the car to turn  over.
The starter engaged, but did not turn over. Engine turns over easily  by hand,
so my guess is that the starter is shot..."

By engaged, you must mean you heard the solenoid "click" in. Yes,  your
starter may be bad, but before condemning it, try disassembling the  solenoid
and having a look at the large power carrying contacts. If  they are badly
pitted and burnt, sometimes you can clean them up and/or  loosen them and turn
them around to a fresh contact surface. Then before  putting the starter
back in, bench test the starter to see if it spins up. This  is something to
try if yours is a "budget" Corvair. Otherwise, buy a new  starter.

Mike Mauro