<VV> To Ping or Not to Ping ? - "Premium" vs. "regular" gas

Dennis Pleau dpleau at wavecable.com
Mon Sep 20 16:46:37 EDT 2010

What engine?

dp

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Sweet, Bill
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2010 1:35 PM
To: 'virtualvairs at corvair.org'
Subject: <VV> To Ping or Not to Ping ? - "Premium" vs. "regular" gas

All,

Back in 1997 I purchased a nice 1966 Monza 140 Convertible in the Bay area.
I was very satisfied with it as long as I put 91 or 92 Octane into the tank
and ran it on the flat land around the SF Bay area. But when I tried to
negotiate Highway 17 to the Santa Cruz coast I found that the temp rose from
my normal 350 indicated reading to over 450 with much pinging and a need to
drop down as far as 1st gear. This was with the lower shrouds removed.

<snip>

Bill Sweet
Silicon Valley Corsa
Office: 408-519-8754