<VV> Monza coupe interior roofing cloth cleaning

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Tue Sep 21 22:52:47 EDT 2010

At 17:29 9/21/2010 -0400, Charles Lee wrote:
>On the subjewct of interior roofing, the roof of mine is gorgeous except te
>edges, where it seems a problem is brewing from the back side ?
>
>It is an almost luxiourious gold, but mottled a bit, and I don 't want to
>destroy it trying to clean it.
>
>Hopefully without removing it, since I don't know how hard it would be to
>get it back so nicely !
>
>www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/Corvair/1967MonzaInterior.htm
>
>Any ideas on cleaning this without causing more problems ?

Hello Charlie,

I have a very similar pattern discoloration on the headliner of my '67 500
4-door, a car that came from the desert area of Southern Colorado.  In this
case the interior color is Fawn and the headliner is cream color. The
discoloration is a distinct rust-orange-brown.  I am afraid that the
discoloration on my car is from rust particles (dust) that have drifted
down from the edges of the roof structure not covered by the cardboard
liner.  A small amount of moisture, perhaps even dew, was enough to
dissolve/transport this rust into the fabric and make the mottled stains.

I intend to try some of the typical anti mildew chemicals/methods for
cleaning the headliner, just on a hunch that they may work. However, I
think that I may end up having to use some sort of rust remover in an
attempt to remove the stains.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI