<VV> FAVORITE "SNAKE OILS" FOR OUR CORVAIRS - Rislone

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 23 14:49:10 EDT 2010

Marc Marcoulides wrote:

>Funny you should post about Rislone, the subject of STP came up in a recent talk, am interested in comments about both products

Rislone -- the product that was in the quart can, was probably
formulated for cars from the 1930's and did not seem to be terribly
effective as a varnished lifter freeing up tool as many of the newer
products available.  I like the Chemtool B-12 in the oil for this, but
notice the directions for using it as an oil additive have been removed
from the can.  Used in too dirty of an engine, it can cause the oil
pickup screen to become clogged with detritus.  Don't ask, please.

STP is one of those things you either love or love to hate -- I go with
the idea of leaving oil formulations to the original manufacturer, and
then buying the correct oil for your application.  That said, STP is a
marvelous assembly /disassembly lube, great for installing things like
press fit ball joints using a BFH, O-rings of all sorts (automatic
transmissions come to mind), and anything else you want to make slippery
such as tight fitting radiator hoses, or 'maybe' that hose on Corvair
fuel tank filler necks.

I chalk the success of STP up to Any Granatelli's ability as a marketing
guru -- guess we need someone like that for CORSA ...

Attached is 10W-20W-50 [no API rating] -- apparently, even Andy had
marketing failures.

Bill Strickland