<VV> The tent and PR

Charles Fregeau n5hsr at sprynet.com
Fri Sep 24 18:12:23 EDT 2010

Wasn't it John Lennon who said "Life is what happens when you're making
other plans?".

I've had similar problems at work.  I fix problems.

I get a call from someone saying the problem is A, or B or even C.  So I go
over to their desk with my mental checklist for problem A, or B or C in my
head.  Usually turns out the problem is X, Y, or even Zed! (Only a few of us
crazy hams know what a Zed is in the 48.)

What's worse is an 'onion' problem.  The core problem is under several other
layers of problems that have been allowed to happen without anybody checking
on it.   We have 250 computers and I can count on the fingers of one hand
all the people we've got to work on them, so we don't get to practice
pro-active maintenance as much as we'd like.  I'm working on one of those
tonight when I get home.  I need to download software and our current
connection to the internet is so SLOW that it's faster for me to drive home,
down load it to my laptop, and drive back than it is to sit at work and wait
for it to download.

Charles