<VV> A different approach to an ongoing problem

Louis Armer carmerjr at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 26 21:26:30 EDT 2010

Hi all, For the last two weeks we have once again been discussing at
length the ongoing problems of our finances and dwindling membership
base in CORSA. I have never doubted most members sincerity and
concerns about the problems but in general, the same solutions and
suggestions always are proposed and promoted as the means to solve
our current and future finances and ways to add new members to CORSA.

I was watching NFL football today and either channel surfing or
muting the sound during the many many commercials when I realized
that almost every commercial we watch is not designed to make an
individual happy with what he/she already has but to make them desire
what they don't have. Not only do most of these commercials berate,
insult, and question the intelligence of the consumer but few really
make much sense in a real world setting.

Maybe, just maybe, we in CORSA have been convinced by the constant
bombardment of advertising for the "masses" that we need to emulate
their strategy which is to sell new product and in most cases
obsolete the existing product and in the process deny the consumer
what may be a perfectly good existing product.

We are a small International  group of  individuals who have chosen
our hobby, chosen our Marque, enjoy the cars and the synergy that
evolves when like minded individuals pursue a common hobby. Now, here
is the avenue which I feel we haven't pursued as a group and which I
feel has caused all of us a lot of hard feelings and counter
productive actions in CORSA.

All of us in CORSA and the local Corvair clubs have got to start
thinking "within our box" and start promoting to like minded
individuals what we have and why they would better enjoy their lives
by being a part of our Corvair hobby. To try and chase the unknowns
and especially under 40's who have no direct link to a Corvair, that
think a car is a disposal machine, that have no idea what a
carburetor is, have never rolled up a car window or ridden in an non
air-conditioned car is like throwing money and time away. There has
to be a common thread or bond that allows us to create the connection
with an individual that wants or desires the Corvair hobby. We have
to be able to find that connection on a one on one basis whether it
is at a cruise-in, a museum car display, a multi-marque car show or a
home town parade or washing our Corvair in our own driveway. Just the
process of meeting and talking with someone who has admired your
Corvair will allow you to show just how special you feel about your
car and how different it is from a throw away appliance and in the
process of conversation find out if you have discovered a fellow
Corvair lover and what binds his/her feelings to a Corvair. You
already know almost all the scenarios such as Grandfather,
Grandmother, Aunt, Uncle, older brother/sister, best friend,
co-worker etc. Now you need to create desire by example. We all
really need to re-explore what brought us into this hobby and think
"within our box" to gain new members and enjoyment from what we do as
Corvair lovers.

Corvairly,
Chuck Armer

CORSA Member