<VV> DIFFERENTIAL "Equation"

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Sep 26 22:57:28 EDT 2010

In a message dated 9/26/2010 6:13:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
N2VZD at aol.com writes:

has  anyone actually run a 3:27 differential with powerglide and @110HP 164

cu inch motor in an FC?
any moderate hills?

A number of years ago -  I built a Transvair kit equipped (110HP
Corvair/PG) 1969 VW Campmobile. Although  technically an FC (not a Vair, but certainly
an FC!) it was not the best  combination for that size/weight vehicle. Low
was good for about 50, but unless  you hit a hill at 70+MPH in Drive -
basically into the torque range for the  110 motor - you were going to slow down
to about 45 and drop it into Low to make  it up the hill. We drove it from
San Jose to the 1975 Corsa Convention in  Seattle. There were plenty of hills
between the two! After the convention, we  continued up and across part of
Canada to Baniff/Lake Louise. Hills were not our  friends. Of course, across
the plains of Canada - to Calgary, etc. the Camper  would go 70+ MPH, but
it floated like a kite at 70, not very pleasant to drive.  A set of 3.55 or
even 3.89 would make the vehicle MUCH more drivable. The VW  Campmobile might
be a little heavier than the average Corvair FC, so you might  get by.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette

San  Jose, CA