<VV> Electric fuel pump relocation

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 26 23:00:04 EDT 2010

After getting many responses to the electric fuel pump relocation
project, I think that I may have figured out an arrangement that would
work on the vertical brace that runs along the front of the tunnel and
placing the shut off, filter, and pump on the passenger side.  Jack
O'Shea of Vegas Vairs came up with the arrangement that I will
emulate.  He, among several others, was nice enough to send pictures
that were worth a thousand words. I'm going to rearrange the circuit a
little to avoid drilling into the floor pan, but the setup will be
almost the same.  He also mentioned several procedural issues that it
probably would be wise to follow.  Two of them I had already thought
of which were putting something like wood between the vise grip jaws
that would be used to clamp the tank sender hose, and having a spotter
ready with a fire extinguisher just in case.  He also mentioned
something that I had not considered as I had never heard it mentioned
before in all of the articles and discussions that I have read -
emptying the gas tank by running it dry and then collecting the
remaining gas via the sender tube before starting the conversion.
Because I hadn't done that, tonight I reinstalled the pump in its
original location in front and to the top of the driver's rear wheel.
I will now drive the car until the gas tank is empty.  This also helps
as I have a club member that has offered the use of his garage
(slightly better equipped and he will be able to put me out if I
ignite).  I will keep the group informed when this little project gets
started again.  Thanks for all of your help.

Stephen Upham
NTCA
'65 Monza 110 PG A/C Hardtop
The Original Four Door Sports Car