<VV> cleaning the linkage and other parts ( from the little shop of dangers)

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 04:50:50 EDT 2011

i use a wire wheel in a die grinder (dangerous, because it spins @4 times
the rated speed of the wheels ) to clean a lot of my parts , including
linkages.  then some areas i use the scotchbrite pads on. then i make a decision
: is it  looking real good? (paint with a good clear , like rustoleum) or
would this one  look better semi gloss black? i have done so many parts like
this lately i am  coating my shop in over spray and sand dust...
my stuff is not "stock is" anyhow so that is not part of the decision most
times. i just want it clean , looking nice , and ALL hardware as correct
and  clean as possible. i spend a lot of time on details like this.
one problem with the wire wheel is the dirt seems to transfer from the part
 to me...but in most cases , i like that finish better than sandblasting (
i have  that here also). Cleaning parts is the hardest part of my Corvair
work. i use  several methods , some you guys would deem dangerous...like
dipping in muriatic  acid..fast way to clean small rusty parts..i do it in a
laundry sink in my shop  with a short hose / spray to rinse it quickly.
example: 30 seconds or less turned a pair of 64-5 fc license lights from
rusty to looking almost new. even took the dirt off the wires.  my hardware
gets cleaned in a gem tumbler running hours on end on the window sill.. i go
 thru a wire wheel set (fine and coarse)  on the bench grinder about every
6  months. i also use a cheap bench belt sander on several items.. This is
why  i can not keep MY shop squeaky clean...but it WORKS hard  for me.
regards, Tim Colson      resident dirt ball with  lots of clean parts