<VV> Insurance Photos at Autocross events

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 14:02:07 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/3/2011 6:33:13 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bryan at skiblack.com writes:

"Because  people will come and take pictures at an event and sell them to
insurance  companies, who then deny a claim based on your use of the car."
He went on  to tell me there had been someone taking photos at an event
that was somewhat  suspicious - not a participant, not there with a competitor,
no business card,  not even willing to give a name.  He later asked a
friend who is an  adjuster and got confirmation that at least one company buys
photos.

--Bryan

I would like to know more about this - because I cannot figure out  what an
"Insurance" company would gain from taking photos at an autocross. Maybe  a
car company wanting to deny a warrantee claim. Or an insurance company
wanting  to protect itself by photographing showroom stock competitors at a road
racing  event or Track time trials. (We have heard stories of rolled cars
being dragged  from the track to a local road and claims put in.) But
Autocrossing is a  perfectly legal enterprise for insurance purposes. In general,
it is hard to hit  anything. What kind of claim would they be denying? How
could anything stand up  in court? Okay, you insurance might not be in force
while on a run, but what  other impact could that have?

Seth Emerson