<VV> Wierd Timing Indication

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Mon Apr 4 20:12:51 EDT 2011

A friends '64 pg convertible suddenly started running poorly a while ago
with a significant loss of power.  I took a look at it today and am totally
perplexed with what I saw.  He's convinced that the problem is in the timing
so I checked that first.  With the pulley at the timing mark, the rotor was
right at the #1 plug wire which was also at the correct 5 o'clock position.
Then with the engine running, the timing mark was no where to be seen with a
timing light and turned out to be at the 3 or 4 o'clock position on the
pulley.  When I turned the distributor to bring the mark up. it came up
about half way and then jumped 180 degrees to the far side of the pulley at
about 9 o'clock!  How can it do that?  It would jump back and forth from a
very small movement of the distributor.  When the distributor was rotated
enough to have the mark in the right place the engine would die.  It has a
solid pulley so it's not slipped but I sure have!  What's going on?
RonH

 Pull the distributor and check the gear on the shaft!

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reswr0kp/