<VV> Looking for a small casting operation

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Apr 7 01:53:28 EDT 2011

At 02:23 PM 4/5/2011, Grant Young wrote:
>Hi. I am searching for a casting company (or someone will to try it)
>that will do
>small batches of metal carburetor parts, using an original part for the mold.
>The metal type is not critical.I need a few 1953 Corvette Carter YH
>carb choke cable
>mounting brackets. For those not aware of what goes on the Corvette
>parts market,
>it is strange (and often grossly inflated) to say the least. I can
>buy a complete core for
>less that the parts on it (but that still leaves me short of the
>parts). Thanks for any leads.
>The Carbmeister

Back When, while in the military, I spent a lot of spare time at the
craft shop next door to the photo lab (spent more time in the lab but
that's another story).  I watched a few of the guys in the craft shop
make castings from plaster molds.   Belt buckles, amulets, rings,
that sorta thing.

Some of it was done from silver (mostly melted down silver coins, of
all things) although some things like amulets and belt buckles were
made from pot metal scrap picked out of the trash bins at the motor
pool.   When twiddled a bit with some other metals, pot metal looks a
lot like pewter.  And stained with certain types of oils when still
very hot, it can take on darker hues.   Same thing with shellcase
brass, which can look rather dynamic when stained in such a
manner.    But I digress...

The mold form was made from plain wax.   Paraffin wax (candle wax)
bought off the local economy worked just fine for making mold
forms.   Once the mold form was satisfactory, a plaster mold was made
from the form.   The metal of choice was heated in a small crucible
until melted (using a small torch) and poured into the plaster mold
which for one shot castings was later simply broken off the
casting.  It worked out very nicely.

Ron, the shop manager, showed us how to make a 2-part mold that could
be reused several times.   This worked out reasonably well with
silver... pot metal may do equally well.   This did nicely for making
belt buckles...

If you only needed a few brackets, like 4 or 5 or thereabouts... and
depending on how complicated the bracket actually is, you may want to
consider casting your own from pot metal or aluminum.  A mapp gas
torch works out nicely to melt aluminum or pot metal scraps.

I've made wax mold forms by making a wax mold out of modeling clay
packed around the part in question, then carefully removed (with some
help from a misting of light spray oil like WD40).   Melted wax is
poured into the clay mold, which is pulled apart to reveal the wax
form that of course is used to make the plaster cast mold.   This was
to duplicate a badge, and I used plain ordinary silver solder to cast
the dupe after using the wax form to make the plaster cast, from
which I cooked out the wax since it was a one-shot deal and didn't
care about the wax form once the mold was made.   Two-part plaster
molds need some sort of alignment pins or dowels... in one small mold
I made, I simply used toothpicks snipped to length in one half of the
plaster mold which was then "greased up" and the other half of the
mold was poured on top, to allow the halves to come apart
easily.  Afterwards, the tooth pick guide pins (this was a pretty
small mold) kept the mold halves lined up nicely.

Now, all that being said:

I have also used GE RTV-11 silicone to make casting molds, although I
used epoxy resin to form the product (after oiling the inside of the
mold).   RTV-11 uses a catalyst to cure quickly.  Uncured, it pours
like pancake syrup and when cured, it's like plain silicone
rubber.   It will stand up to temps of around 700 degrees easily
enough, which will allow silver solder casting.   It will, however,
start to break down if it's exposed to temps much above 800 or so,
which is around the melting point of pot metal... so, not sure how
many times you could use an RTV-11 cast with melted pot metal.   I
did this sorta thing with epoxy (JB-Weld) to reproduce control knobs
for survey laser products which got broken often and were rather
difficult to obtain, worked out nicely.   Made one from molten 60-40
solder once just for the heluvit and it came out well.

...your own personal mileage could well vary.

This might sound labor-intensive, but if you need a small batch of
parts, it could well be cheaper to make them yourself than have to
deal with a foundry somewhere who might only do the job if several
hundred of the product were ordered etc.

tony..