<VV> oil question

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Apr 14 12:57:29 EDT 2011

On 4/14/2011 12:24 PM, BobHelt at aol.com wrote:

> I suggest that you review the archives on oil.

Bob, that doesn't help.  There is SO MUCH now in the archives, mostly
confusing and frequently contradictory.  Looking at the archives on this
topic just makes my head spin.

Every time the topic comes up, more confusing and contradictory
information appears.

What is needed is a concise synopsis that helps Corvair owners choose a
suitable motor oil.

Concise being the key word.  Engineering dissertations are not needed.

> If there is a starburst on the front of the container, DO NOT USE THAT OIL.

Why not?  Will the starburst cast an evil spell?  Will starburst oil
dissolve aluminum?  Are the agents of The Adjustment Bureau going to
come to my house if I use starburst oil?

Again, a concise, basic, explanation is needed.

> And where is the SL located on the container.? it makes a difference.

Oh good god, WHERE the SL appears makes a difference?  And what are we
to make of all these acronyms, anyway?  SL, SM, SJ, S&M, CJ-4, CJ-7,
EIEIO, AFL-CIO, LSMFT... it's enough to make one just pour in whatever
is on sale and drive on.

Can anyone create a fact-based guide to the current oil selection
process for Corvairs that does not exceed 100 words and does not make
the reader say "Huh?"

--Bob Marlow