<VV> Corvair Cylinder Heads

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Fri Apr 15 13:34:50 EDT 2011

Gary,

Welcome back to Corvairs.

First, as far as towing a vehicle, if you are towing a Corvair  on a
trailer the issues are those that have to do with your tow vehicle and  weight
distribution on the trailer.  Remember that the Corvair has the  engine weight
in the back.  If you are going to flat tow or tow on a dolly,  there are
issues with the transaxle.  I do not want to reopen this train  unless you
intend to tow with the drive wheels on the ground.

Regarding your desire to make new Corvair heads, are you going  to merely
reproduce the heads as they exist today (with the interchangeable  intakes)
or come up with a new combustion chamber design?  There are  literally dozens
of head part numbers.  Some have very little difference  between them and
some have very significant differences.  In any case,  there are significant
differences other than two intake ports vs. four  intake ports (one and two
per head.)  Some heads are so common and low  performance that you do not
want to waste your time looking at them to  reproduce while others may be
desirable to replicate.  However, even  the 140 HP heads (arguably the most rare
and desirable) are available at a  price.  Only you can determine what your
development and manufacturing  costs are compared to the purchase of good
used or even NOS parts.

If you are considering a whole new design, if you are not  contacted by
Smitty very soon, I would be very surprised.  Smitty has been  investigating a
head redesign for some time.  I don't know the present  status.  I don't
have his email address handy right now but I am sure  others do.  Some things
you may want to consider ......

1.  Deeper valve seats.  Dropped valve seats are a  problem with Corvair
heads especially in the 140 HP and the turbo applications  which have bigger
diameter valves and higher operating temperatures  respectively.  The
interference fit of the seats to the heads are beginning  to fail in these older
heads especially in high performance applications or when  overheated.

2.  Early model (EM) heads have smaller diameter  seats for the cylinders
while the late models (LM) heads are larger

3.  Up until 1965 (I think) the bolts used to attach the  sheet metal to
the heads are smaller than those in 1966 and later.

4.  The 140 heads have two intake ports each, larger  valves and larger
exhaust ports.  This will need to be a unique  design.

5.  Are you going to have just the two intake designs or  will your intakes
be able to handle other after market carbs?

6.  The above is only touching on the surface of the  variety of
considerations you face.  On the assumption that you use the  folks here on Virtual
Vairs as a resource (highly recommended) as you progress with this project,
you will have many opinions offered on  every design aspect.  Even individuals
with significant expertise may have  strongly differing opinions on a given
subject.  Brace  yourself.

Welcome and good luck,

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 4/15/2011 9:00:49 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  1