<VV> Corvair Fuel Mileage

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 17 07:14:00 EDT 2011

Here is an offering on the idea of replacing a vehicle with the main goal being improved mileage...it RARELY pays out. I have been reading research articles and watching consumer oriented talk shows that have focused on this topic, often discussing calculations on whether to buy an electric or hybrid vehicle as a "savings". I have a couple that only get in the low 20's in mileage. I have only seen one calculation where buying a totally electric car paid out during the life of a normal loan (6 years), when compared to a conventional (and much less expensive) comparable make and engine of the same year even with the improved mileage and tax credits on the new cars.
all the others were 8 years or longer (considering the rising cost of electricity). The math is pretty simple to compare two mileage ratings. Just calculate and compare your TOTAL fuel cost based on your annual mileage with your current car and the one you want to buy. If, for example, using round numbers, you drive 15K a year and your current car gets 20 mpg and your wannbe gets 30 mpg, then your savings at $4/gal is only $1000 a year for the 50% increase in mileage. Going up to 40 mpg (100% improvement) is $1500. That's about 3-4 monthly payments on the new car. I can find a lot of nice things to do with the remaining 9 (and 54). You obviously also have to consider that your insurance and taxes will increase (possibly even offsetting the fuel savings completely) and eventually the cost of repair and repair parts (old alternator -$50, new alternator - $200, older size tires $50, newer tires $200, etc.) My advise is to keep that extra money to cover the growing cost of food (or another Corvair).
Grant

1. Re: Corvair Fuel Mileage