<VV> Fuel mileage

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 17 12:57:38 EDT 2011

>Forget the Prius etc.  My son bought a used 2003 Jetta TDI wagon with
>350,000 miles on it for $5000.

Even though I may like VW's TDI vehicles, the bargains these days, if
you can find one cheap, are the old Geo Metros (50+ mpg, gasoline (not
diesel) prices, collison insurance not required on cars worth under
$500, ...) or and old Iron Duke Fiero, say 85 or 86, with a 5speed --
should be good for 40 on the highway burning regular, again with a three
digit price tag (more if you want a nice one -- less for road finds).
Wife's 2001 Alero does low thirties on road trips.

I've gotten very close to 30 with my 1960 Corvair juice-drive -- we have
yet to see what this new rig I've got will do, but 25ish from a Corvair
is probably pretty good, although I once got an old turbo Corsa down to
about 10-12, only to be beaten for worst mileage at an econorun by an
older Chevy wagon filled full of family (409 V-8).  He managed 8
something -- I suppose he could have been accused of driving a motor
home, but ...

Bill Strickland