<VV> Whitewalls on Corvairs

Arlette Pat arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 17 23:50:57 EDT 2011

Hi everyone,

Here's my input with respect to whitewall tires.
In the 40 years that I owned cars I have never and will never purchase anything else but a white wall tires.

It take no effort the purchase common back wall tires, that's easy. By comparison it takes considerable effort to locate and purchase white wall tires. This is particularly true here in Australia.

I am constantly amazed by the number people who comment on how good the white wall tires look on our cars, but then say it's all difficult to obtain them in the first place and then to difficult to keep them clean. Cleaning never been a problem. I use Wesley Tire Bleach.

One of our cars is a 2002 Rover 75 Serries Connessiour (not sold in the USA) . This car has 17 inch wheels with quite  'thin wall tires' but has white walls and looks great. Even younger people comment to me how good these white walls look.

White wall tires will come back into fashion, just wait a few more years. In  my view the appearance of any car is improved by white wall tires. The question is what width white wall.

Pre 1961 use 2 inch and wider white walls.
1962 to 1966 use 1 inch white walls
1967 to 1977 use  less than 1 inch white walls
1978 to 1985 use one and quarter inch white walls.

The width of the tire wall can also determine the best white wall width.

Our 1965 RHD Monza convertible will have 1 inch white walls which will suit it down to the ground.

Any serious car enthusiast will have white walls.

White Walls for ever!

Carl L. Kelsen
1965 RHD Corvair Monza convertible (with white walls)
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia