<VV> Front spring swap/question on cut springs

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Apr 18 14:34:48 EDT 2011

Hi folks,

The '66 has had a noise from the front since we got it, the shiny spot on the LF spring gave away the source. I took the front springs off this weekend, and found that they were both bent - the only thing I can think of is someone had the front end apart and the springs weren't seated in the upper pockets correctly on re-assembly.  I have another set I picked up at last year's Homecoming to put on the car with a cut coil.  In the past I've put the cut end up, I thought I'd check and see if that's what everyone does, or if it's better to put them in with the cut end down?

One hint on the swap, I had heard this a couple places - it's much easier to remove the spring if you pull the camber adjusting bolt, rather than splitting the ball joint.  Leverage over the spring is much better.  The only catch is the bolts can't be rusted in place.

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
  Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa
  Kid cars: 00 Grand Marquis, 00 Miata