<VV> Front spring swap/question on cut springs

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Apr 18 14:51:58 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/18/2011 11:34:57 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bryan at skiblack.com writes:

I have  another set I picked up at last year's Homecoming to put on the car
with a cut  coil.  In the past I've put the cut end up, I thought I'd check
and see  if that's what everyone does, or if it's better to put them in
with the cut  end down?

One hint on the swap, I had heard this a couple places - it's  much easier
to remove the spring if you pull the camber adjusting bolt, rather  than
splitting the ball joint.  Leverage over the spring is much  better.  The only
catch is the bolts can't be rusted in  place.

--Bryan

I remove it at the adjuster as well. But mark it first, unless you  are
going to take it for a complete alignment.
I cut the spring with a cut-off saw, then I put the coil end -about  the
last half coil in a vise, heat through the point 180 degrees from the tip,
and twist the turn in toward the coil. This pretty much re-terminates the end
so  it will fit in the pocket. It means the car is lowered a little-bit more
that  just the one-coil removal, because the half-coil beyond the heated
point won't  be doing much work. But it quiets down the spring because it is
now in it's  proper seating. And I don't mind the extra little bit of
lowering. A bonus, a  cut spring is easier to clamp up into place with the lower
control arm. I still  try to put a shock absorber up into the original area
before the final  lift, since it retains the spring from "popping" out, should
anything go  wrong.

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette
San Jose, CA